FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester FC United of Manchester

FC United of ManchesterSmaller TextLarger Text

FC United suffer humiliating defeat at home to Nuneaton

Win or bust was the general consensus among the FC United faithful as Nuneaton Borough arrived at Broadhurst Park ?on Saturday afternoon?.

The visitors are bottom of the table with United third bottom. Both sides were looking for a moral boosting win going into the last month of a long season.

Goals from Taylor Allen and Michael Townsend in the first half were added to by Jordan Lussey and James Caton in the second to give Nuneaton an emphatic 4-0 victory. This win completed the double over FC having won the corresponding fixture 1-0 earlier in the season.

Borough had a simple game plan. Long throw specialist Rhys Sharpe was used on both flanks to advance his team up the pitch and ultimately into the box. Waiting in the area were two huge centre halves with team mates looking to pick up second balls and create chances.

This coupled with taking advantage of dead ball situations was the plan. It worked.

United started off the brighter of the two sides with a couple of snapshots, one from Louis Myers and another from Josh Wallen, both being tipped over by the Nuneaton keeper. 

Allen got the opener on 16 minutes after a long ball forward saw him beat the offside trap to score the opener.

Barely two minutes later, another missile from Sharpe fell kindly in the box for Townsend. The big centre back didn’t waste his chance to double his side’s lead.

As the half drew to a close FC’s Dom McHale suffered the ignominy of being subbed in the first half. Perhaps FC manager Neil Reynolds withdrawing him from the firing line after receiving a yellow card following a reckless challenge on halfway.

The second half carried on in much the same vein. Nuneaton winning two corners by virtue of headed clearances form long throws. Their play was basic but organised and United struggled to put any meaningful attacks together. 

It was as an FC attack broke down that Nuneaton advanced quickly down the left and Lussey fired passed Fisher to make it 3-0.

Borough where defending in numbers as United strived to achieve something from the game but again they broke wtih speed leaving Caton to score his side’s fourth of the afternoon on 84 minutes.

Kurt Willoughby headed United’s best chance at the keeper after good work by Mike Donohue down the left. This capped off a frustrating afternoon for the Reds.

Nuneaton  fully deserved the win and took all six points available against FC this season.

?Next saturday FC United travel to Darlington looking to salvage something from a difficult season.?

Website Man of the Match: Zehn Mohammed. The 19 year old dealt with a difficult afternoon of long throws and corners.

Report by Neil Lees

Home Email Facebook Reddit

First Posted ~ 04:32 Sun 31 Mar 2019
News ID ~ 8330
Last Updated ~ 08:55 Wed 3 Apr 2019